Historic Monuments and Markers - LeRoy

Roadside (PA 414 west of LeRoy)

MISSING

"SHESHEQUIN PATH. A branch of the Warriors Path left the Susquehanna at Sheshequin, now Ulster; crossed Sugar Creek; and by valleys of Towanda and Lycoming Creeks reached West Branch, near present Montoursville, where it joined the Shamokin Path."

Dedicated March 16, 1949.


Monument with Tablet (PA 414 east of LeRoy at LeRoy Cemetery)

"In memory of Elizabeth Oakley Holcomb who married Hugh Holcomb, 1799 or 1800. First woman to settle in LeRoy Township. First to marry in the township. First to give birth, May 26, 1801, to the first white male child born in the township. First to die. Death taking place shortly after the birth of her son, Marlin, 1801. First to be buried in LeRoy Cemetery. This memorial marks her grave. The beginning of this cemetery. Some stones in this pillar are from the farm of her husband, the first to be cleared for farming in the township where she married and died. This tablet erected by the citizens of LeRoy Township, September, 1932. Rancy K. Morse, Historian and Designer, LeRoy, Pa."

<< Return to Historic Monuments and Markers

2018 Bradford County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by inCommand Technologies, Inc.