Historic Monuments and Markers - Milan

Roadside (US 220, east side, .3 miles north of Milan)

MISSING

"QUEEN ESTHER'S TOWN. On the terrace below here resided Esther Montour, of the noted French-Indian family, and her group of Munsee Indians. The town was burned in 1778 by Col. Hartley."

Dedicated 1948.


Boulder and Tablet (Green's Landing on Route 220, east side, 1 mile north of Milan)

"Teaoga. A Watch Town. The south door of the Iroquois Long House was situated at the meeting of the rivers 200 rods to the northeast. Queen Esther's Town of the Delaware Indians was 100 rods to the East along the Chemung River banks. Both towns were destroyed by Colonel Thomas Hartley and his troops September 27, 1778. These flats for 5 miles known as Queen Esther's Flats, were grazing ground for their herds. Marked by the Penna. Historical Commission and Tioga Point Chapter, D.A.R., 1928."

<< Return to Historic Monuments and Markers

2018 Bradford County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by inCommand Technologies, Inc.