Historic Monuments and Markers - Wyalusing

Roadside (US 6 at south end of Wyalusing)

"WYALUSING. Named for an early town of the Munsee Delawares, which occupied the flats south of the present town. In 1760 Munsees under the Papoonhank welcomed Post here, on his way toward a great Indian council beyond Allegheny River."

Dedicated March 15, 1949.


Roadside (US 6 at north end of Wyalusing)

"WYALUSING. Named for an early town of the Munsee Delawares, which occupied the flats south of the present town. In 1760 Munsees under the Papoonhank welcomed Post here, on his way toward a great Indian council beyond Allegheny River."

Dedicated March 15, 1949.


Moravian Monument

"To honor the Moravian Missionaries who founded the Indian Mission Village at Wyalusing, 1765-1772. Erected by the Moravian Historical Society, June 14-15, 1871."


Marker Near the Cemetery

"Near this site from August 5 to 8, 1779, camped the army of Gen. John Sullivan, on the expedition against the Six Nations of Indians. Erected by the Mach-Wi-Hi-Lusing Chapter, D.A.R., 1914."


Boulder and Tablet (US 6, 1.4 miles southeast of Wyalusing)
"Sullivan Expedition. Wyalusing, ten and one-half miles from Vanderlips Farm, fifth encampment of Sullivan's Army on the march from Wyoming to Teoga, August 6 & 7, 1779, was on site just west on road marked by the Moravian Indian Town Monument. Marked by the Penna. Historical Commission and Mach-Wi-Hi-Lusing Chapter, D.A.R., 1929."


Marker at Wyalusing Rocks

"Old Indian Lookout, 505 feet above the river. Erected by Rainbow Club, Wyalusing, 1929."


Roadside (US 6 & 309, 1.3 miles north of Wyalusing at lookout)

MISSING

"WYALUSING ROCKS. Lookout on Warriors Path, entering Pennsylvania from the headwaters of Delaware, Susquehanna, and Chemung Rivers. Over it traveled Six Nations war parties against southern Indians, and peace missions to Philadelphia."

Dedicated August 30, 1948.


Roadside (US 6, 1.3 miles southeast of Wyalusing)

MISSING

"FRIEDENSHUETTEN. Moravian mission founded at Wyalusing Indian town, 1763, by Zeisberger, who built a model Indian town. Abandoned in 1772, when pastors Ettwein and Roth led some 200 Indians to the mission of Friedensstadt on the Beaver River."

Dedicated July 22, 1948.


Roadside (US 6, 1.4 miles southeast of Wyalusing)

"General John Sullivan's army camped just west, August 5-7, 1779, en route to attack the New York Iroquois. A major campaign, destroying 40 villages and ending the Indian-Tory frontier menace."

Dedicated May 12, 1947.


Roadside (US 6, 1.3 miles north of Wyalusing)

"WARRIORS PATH. A great Indian highway from Six Nations country, New York, to the Catawba country in the Carolinas. It made its way through the Allegheny Mountains by following the Susquehanna and Juniata valleys."

Dedicated March 15, 1949.


Roadside (US 6, 7.2 miles northwest of Wyalusing)

MISSING

"SULLIVAN'S MARCH. Gen. John Sullivan's army camped on the nearby river lowlands August 8-9, 1779 en route to attack the Six Nations Iroquois. Sixth camp between Wyoming and Fort Sullivan."

Dedicated May 12, 1947.

<< Return to Historic Monuments and Markers

2018 Bradford County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by inCommand Technologies, Inc.