Historic Monuments and Markers - Towanda

Tablet in the corridor of the Court House

"In commemoration of the distinguished services of DAVID WILMOT. Born at Bethany, Penna., January 20, 1814. Admitted to the Bar of Bradford County, September 8, 1834
Member of Congress, 1845-1851
President Judge of Bradford County, 1851-1861
United States Senator, 1861-1863
Judge of the U.S. Court of Claims, 1863-1868
Died at Towanda, Penna., March 16, 1868.
Author of the Wilmot Proviso, 'Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude shall ever exist in any part of said territory, except for crime, whereof the party shall first be duly convicted.' This tablet is presented by John W. Mix, a member of the Bar of Bradford County from 1863 to 1919."


Tablet on the north side of entrance to the Court House

"In honor of the men and women of Bradford County who strove as soldiers and nurses in the World War at home and overseas for the perpetuation of American ideals. Erected by the George Clymer Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1923. Eugenia Macfarlane Balch Fund."


Tablet on the south side of entrance to the Court House

"In memory of Company M, 9th Penna. Volunteer Infantry, War with Spain, 1898. Mustered in the service at Towanda, Pa., July 12, 1898. Mustered out October 30, 1898." [Then follows the names of the officers and privates from this county.] "Company M was recruited by Frank N. Moore. This tablet was presented by him in loving tribute to their memory."


Roadside (Court House)

"BRADFORD COUNTY. Formed on February 21, 1810 from Lycoming and Luzerne counties. Named Ontario County until 1812; renamed for the second U.S. Attorney General, William Bradford. County seat of Towanda was incorporated 1828. Famous for Sullivan's March and David Wilmot."

Dedicated July 10, 1982.


Roadside (William Street at Riverside Cemetery)

MISSING

"DAVID WILMOT. The great Free-Soiler is buried here. Born at Bethany, 1814. Studied law at Wilkes-Barre, 1834. Began practice in Towanda, his home until his death, 1868. His famed Wilmot Proviso introduced August 8, 1846." 

Dedicated May 12, 1947.


Roadside (US 6, York Avenue above Barstow Avenue)

"DAVID WILMOT. The great Free-Soiler, who began the fight on slavery extension with the Wilmot Proviso in 1846, lived in this house. Republican Party founder; its first candidate for Governor. He died here in 1868."

Dedicated May 12, 1947.


Roadside (US 6, Main Street, near State Street)

"The great writer of folk songs and ballads lived in Towanda in 1840-41. He attended Towanda Academy on the hill a short time and stayed with his brother William, a canal official."

Dedicated May 12, 1947.


Roadside (US 220, 3.1 miles northwest of Towanda)

"SHESHEQUIN PATH. Indian trail joining the Iroquois country and the Shamokin area, passed near here. Conrad Weiser took this route to Onondaga, capital of the League, to represent the Province in council with the Iroquois."

Dedicated September 6, 1948.


Boulder and Tablet, North Towanda

"Oscalui. Formerly known as Ogehaga, was an ancient fortified town of the Andastes, located fifty rods northeasterly from this marker, near the junction of Sugar Creek and the Susquehanna River. Here passed the Sheshequin trail to the West Branch of the Susquehanna and directly across the river was the Great Warrior Path. Oscalui was succeeded by Newtychanning, consisting of twenty-eight log houses, burned by General Sullivan August 9, 1779 in his campaign against the Iroquois. Here was the last Indian attempt at occupation along the Susquehanna in Bradford County. Oscalui was visited by Conrad Weiser as early as 1725. Erected by the George Clymer Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 19--."


Boulder and Tablet on Route 220 at the Crest, Hemlock Run (Note: This monument was removed to make way for the highway and was never replaced. The tablet is on display at the Bradford County Historical Society.)

"SULLIVAN EXPEDITION AGAINST THE IROQUOIS INDIANS, 1779. Breakneck Hill, narrow pass over which Sullivan's Army marched August 9, 1779 is visible just across the river in a southeasterly direction. Six miles of Sullivan's March are in plain view. Marked by the Penna. Historical Commission and the Bradford County Historical Society, 1929"

<< Return to Historic Monuments and Markers

2018 Bradford County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by inCommand Technologies, Inc.