Historic Monuments and Markers - Athens

Boulder and Tablet on Main Street

"Soldiers Burial - Here within the confines of Fort Sullivan were buried August 14, 1779, several soldiers killed the day previous in skirmish at Chemung, as attested by Solomon Talada, soldier in the ranks, who returned to live at Athens all his life. Statement corroborated by finding skeletons pervious to 1839. Erected by the Penna. Historical Commission and Tioga Point Chapter, D.A.R., 1929."


Tablet on panel in concrete bridge over the Chemung

"Western end of the Indian carrying path from Chemung to the Susquehanna Rivers. The eastern end was 190 rods southeast. Erected by the Penna. Historical Commission and Tioga Point Chapter, D.A.R., 1929."


Roadside (PA 199 at Chemung River Bridge into Athens)

MISSING

"CARRYING PATH. Here the Indian voyager down the Chemung lifted his canoe and carried it a hundred and ninety yards across the neck to ascend the Susquehanna." 

Dedicated September 6, 1948.


Plaque (PA 199, north end of Chemung River bridge into Athens)

"THE CARRYING PATH. Here was the western end of the Indian Carrying Path from the Chemung to the Susquehanna Rivers. The eastern end was 190 rods southeast. Fort Sullivan was built across the path."

Dedicated 1929.


Roadside (PA 199, south end of Chemung River bridge into Athens)

"TEAOGA. This stategic locality between the Chemung and the Susquehanna, shows signs of age-old residence by various Indian groups. Graves of an Andaste chief and his followers were unearthed here in 1883-95."

Dedicated September 6, 1948.


Boulder and Tablet

"The Sullivan Expedition against the Iroquois Indians 1779. Teaoga, Indian village three miles distant from Sheshecunnuck, site of Sullivan's Army encampment August 11-26, 1779, lay one and one-fourth miles south of this point. Marked by the Penna. Historical Commission and Tioga Point Chapter, D.A.R., 1929."


Boulder and Tablet

"In Sullivan's Expedition, the march that destroyed savagery and opened the Keystone and Empire states to civilization. Four brigades furnished by the states of Penna., N.Y., N.J., and N.H., with Proctor's artillery and Parr's riflemen took part at this Tioga Point, along the southern door of the Iroquois Confederacy. 5,000 troups encamped here. Named by Continentals and garrisoned by 250 soldiers of the 2nd N.J. regiment under Colonel Israel Shrieve stood FORT SULLIVAN, with four block houses, curtains, abatis, from August 11 to October 3, 1779. Erecetd by Tioga Point Chapter, D.A.R., 1902."


Boulder and Tablet opposite Tioga Point Museum and Spaulding Memorial Library

"Site of ATHENS ACADEMY, the first school for higher education in this section. Planned 1797, opened 1814, razed 1925. STEPHEN C. FOSTER was an Academy student in 1840-41. Here in 1841, in Old Tioga Point, he wrote his first composition - The Tioga Waltz. Erected by the Tioga Point Museum, 1941."


Roadside (PA 199, old US 220, in Athens)

"STEPHEN FOSTER. America's beloved writer of folk tunes and ballads attended, 1840-41, Athens Academy, which stood here. The Tioga Waltz, Foster's first music, was composed at that time."

Dedicated May 12, 1947.


Roadside (PA 199 - old US 220 - at Tioga Point Cemetery)

"ATHENS. Known also as Tioga Point. Connecticut settlers laid out the village in 1786. Site of ancient Indian village of Teaoga. Base for the Sullivan Campaign in central N.Y. Gateway from Southern N.Y. into Pennsylvania for centuries." Erected May 12, 1947.


Roadside (SR 1043, 1.2 miles SE of Athens at cemetery)

"COLONEL JOHN FRANKLIN. Leader of Connecticut land claimants. Served in Sullivan Campaign, 1779. Imprisoned in 1787-89 for leading new state movement. Later served in PA Legislature. Moved here in 1789; died in 1831. Homesite and grave are east of road." Erected September 23, 1946.


Roadside (PA 199 in southern Athens)

"FORT SULLIVAN. Here, between the Chemung and Susquehanna commanding both rivers, Gen. John Sullivan built a fort August 18, 1779. With a camp on the flats, it was base for the central N.Y. campaign and defeat of the Tory-Indian alliance." Erected May 12, 1947.


Tablet (Corner of Tioga and Main Streets, Athens)

"SULLIVAN EXPEDITION AGAINST THE IROQUOIS INDIANS, 1779. Teaoga. Indian village 3 miles distant from Sheshecunnunch, site of Sullivan's army encampment August 11-26, 1779, lay one and one-fourth miles south of this point."

Dedicated 1929.


Stone alongside Spanish Hill

MISSING

"Site of the Indian Town of CARANTOUAN. Visited in 1615 by Stephen Brule', French explorer. Erected 1915 by Bradford County Historical Society."

Click for more information about this monument.


Roadside (PA 14, .2 miles from state line)

MISSING

"PENNSYLVANIA. Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States." Erected June 10, 1948.


Roadside (US 220 & 309, .3 miles from state line)

"PENNSYLVANIA. Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States." Erected June 10, 1948.

<< Return to Historic Monuments and Markers

2018 Bradford County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design by inCommand Technologies, Inc.